Thursday 24 January 2013

There's sNOw time like the present...

With the cold weather we've been having over the last week or so, you could be forgiven for sitting indoors by the fire, watching TV and eating comfort food... Well I managed to force myself to leave the front room this week and venture out for some training!

Saturday saw me take on the 15 mile walk from Douglas to Laxey and back, I got my clothing choice totally wrong, which didn't help when battling the cold air (note to self, wear more layers and a woolly hat). There were some lovely sights along the way and some great advertising oportunities (see if you can spot one in my picture below).

The trip took just over 3 hours which wasn't too bad for the stage I'm currently at... the main thing I was pleased about was the lack of rain... what a bonus! One thing I did want to mention was the amount of people (who I didn't actually know) that were either out running, cycling or simply strolling along through Douglas/Onchan/Laxey and said hello, waved or gave a nod of recognition to me. I thought the spirit of community had gone the way of the dodo, but I'm obviously very much mistaken (I'm sure my wife will tell you that me being mistaken, or as she likes to put it "just being wrong" happens on a daily basis, so I shouldn't be so surprised!). We often don't realise how lucky we are to live on such a friendly Island, but you certainly appreciate a smile when it's freezing cold and you've been walking for what seems like forever!

Fast forward to Tuesday night, I wanted to set a course which would see me leave my house and return their within an hour. I wanted a session where I can walk when it is dark, which would be well lit and had a pavement, so I'm not having to dodge cars left, right and centre! The walk I chose had a good mix of flat and hills (not sure if thats the correct walking terminology?) and was able to complete 5 miles within the hour (not sure what speed I was going though? ha ha!), it incorporated Douglas Promenade and thought I'd take a picture (for all those who have ambitions of finishing) of where the finish line will be on Sunday 23rd June 2013...


As an aside, I'm sure you'll be happy to know that I finally got round to going to the physio about my injured ankle... good news is that the physio said I am able to do whatever sport I want, so long as I do the exercises she has prescribed to strengthen the muscles around my ankle, these will help me compensate for any ligament damage which has been sustained. I'd like to say how impressed I was with the service provided by the Department of Health's physio self referral scheme. All I had to do was complete quick online form (found on their website http://www.gov.im/health/services/Hospitals/Physiotherapy/selfref.xml), make a phonecall two days later to book my appointment  and I was seen within a few days at the Community Health Centre in Douglas It's a great service that I'd recommend to anyone who thinks they may benefit from it!

That's all for now, I'll hopefully have clocked up a few more miles by the time my next blog comes out... Keep on walking!

No comments:

Post a Comment